Sunday, March 16, 2008

Grocery Bagging 101 & a Beatles Hoedown (What???)

Are you ready for the most completely random, disjointed post ever? Because I'm ready to ramble, so fasten your seatbelts.

I've decided I'm going to teach a course to all grocery baggers across the globe. Because it's obvious that in most cases they do not get any training.

Are you with me on this one?

Once in awhile I will have a conscientious bagger, who realizes that canned goods do not belong on top of my bread and/or eggs. But usually, I get home and wonder -- what was he/she thinking? I assume he or she was probably thinking about how much longer they have to stand there and bag someone else's food on that particular day. I assume they are counting the minutes until break time or the end of their shift. They are obviously not thinking about how to bag things efficiently and sensibly.

I try to help them by grouping like groceries together on the conveyor when I check out. (Am I the only one who does this??) And it's not that I have anything against the baggers -- they are usually very nice. But they sure don't seem to have much training in what goes together and what does not.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Speaking of things that do not go together.... Beatles music and hoedowns. If you are an American Idol fan, I bet you know exactly what I'm talking about. Contestant Kristy Lee Cook decided to sing the Beatles "Eight Days A Week" with a country twist this past week. I get the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.

Let me tell you right now -- I do not wish for anyone EVER in the history of the universe to have to be subjected to listening to the Beatles-Country Style ever, ever again. It's just plain wrong. It's torture. I would link the You Tube video I found right here so you could see what I'm talking about, but I'm telling you -- that would be just plain cruel. It was awful. I'm sorry Kristy Lee -- don't take it personally -- but I implore you -- please do not ever sing that song in that way again!

(If you feel the need to punish yourself, simply go to YouTube and type in her name -- you'll find it somewhere, but be prepared -- it ain't pretty!)

And that is the end of my random thoughts for today.

Hope you're having a wonderful weekend. The plague is still hovering at our house for the two youngest -- we've graduated from strep throat to awful hacking cough and runny nose. But I *THINK* I'm seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. And I did get out of the house with my oldest son for about five hours yesterday which was much needed and lots of fun. My two little ones will be SO glad when I can get them out and about. They have been couped up for days.

Chat with you soon!

8 comments:

Nancy said...

I sort all my groceries on the conveyor....fridge, canned, boxed, hba, veggies and freezer. I even have dh taking them off the twirly thing because I don't like them mixed. LOL Besides our big freezer is in the garage.

Jen said...

I do the same thing - sorting - if I can't go through the U-scan line. I'd much rather do that, because the cashiers do not think when they're bagging stuff, and what I could put in about three bags ends up in 20, none of which seem to go together at all!! Glad to hear your family is starting to feel better!

Theresa said...

Totally with you on the baggers thing. Bach home we don't (or we didn't) have baggers, unless you needed help, so we could put things in the "right" way, unless the checkout person was kind enough to do it for you. I suspect with the ban plastic bags campaign that might change though. My worst bagging phobia? Putting fresh meat in with anything else!!
Hope the household is feeling better today, and is only green in honour of St Patrick!!

Unknown said...

We loved having you visit and thanks for my good stuff!

I am so WITH you on the bagging groceries thing and the Kristy Lee Cook thing!

Kristy Lee Cook was torturous! And, I will have you know that I used to bag groceries as a young girl in CA. I got extensive training in how to bag groceries correctly..I think it is just a TN thing...I don't think most businesses here know how to train any of their employees...don't even get me into a McDonald's rant!

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

Another sorter here, lol!

Carolyn said...

Rita I hear your pain, it is felt here too. I always sort, and for some reason it doesn't get bagged that way. Hello cardboard boxes and frozen food don't travel well together. geez whiz

I totally agree Beatles is not to be sung country style... another Hello!

Cami said...

yep - I am SO with you on the bagging thing. In fact - I just had an 'issue' the other day. frustrating to find 2 deli buns next to the jug of chocolate milk...or should I say UNDER the jug of chocolate milk. argh! I always sort my groceries how I want them bagged. why do they not end up getting bagged that way? I think they're messing with us!

And a hearty AMEN on the Kristy Lee Cook, Beatles, hoedown thing. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it. ;)

Theresa said...

Just popping by to wish you and yours a Happy Easter (aka Chocolate Overdose Sunday!!)