Saturday, August 09, 2008

Don't Blink

There is so much truth to the phrase "in the blink of an eye"... so many things seem to pass in just that short amount of time, don't they? In the blink of an eye your once small babies are suddenly headed off to school and I'm sure in the blink of an eye they'll be graduating and moving on with their lives. ((Sigh)) It all goes much too fast.

Our summer vacation went away in the blink of an eye. School starts Monday. I have to admit, this past week had several moments where I felt I was very ready for my kids to head back to school. But for the most part -- I'm not ready. Because I'll miss having them here each day. And soon, we'll be back to the complete craziness of school, plus sports, plus scouts, plus this and that, etc. A routine will be good I guess, but the non-routine of summer has been awfully nice.

One sure sign that it's the end of summer is my lack of picture taking the past two days. We went to a splash park with some friends yesterday -- one last hurrah before school starts -- and I didn't take one photo. The kids also had a friend spend the night Thursday and now I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures -- they played the cutest games together. Nearly my entire upstairs was trashed with make believe forts and animal hospitals and stores and offices (so they could go to "work" -- hee hee.) I didn't take one picture of their creativity. I think I was just "pictured out" these last couple of days, if you can believe that!

Speaking of the kids playing "work" -- their "office" happened to be my scrapbook space, which also is my daughter's craft space. It caused me to nearly have several panic attacks (like when I heard my daughter very matter-of-factly tell her friend "Oh yeah -- use WHATEVER you want -- it's all just fine to use!"). They were rifling through my scrapbook stuff and the selfish "I-don't-want-to-share-my-toys" side of me threatened to flair up. LOL Then I saw how much fun they were having -- even my oldest son was playing along a bit -- and my panic was gone. Seriously, I have so much stuff -- why in the world shouldn't I share? They made scrapbook pages and other works of art that again, I SHOULD have taken pictures of. (And Wendy if you're reading this -- I seriously did not mind one bit that the girls were using my stuff! So don't worry! LOL)

As I leave you, I will share a few more summer shots that sum up our summer break quite well -- many trips to the pool and around town, lots of fun with some wonderful friends and of course -- siblings picking on each other, just to make sure Mom doesn't get too bored!






Enjoy your weekend!!!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, how we are going to miss these days.

I can just envision it. Me, you and Wendy out to lunch...the last all of our kids gone at college, and us trying to hold in the tears and the bewilderment of what we should do with ourselves.

WOW. I am a wreck today. I can't believe my baby is going to kindergarten!

You were wrong...I do need to blink, how else am I going to get rid of these tears?

Jayne said...

I too, can't believe where the summer went....It's just gone!
The photos are adorable...but that last one is priceless!!! LOVE it!!! It's kinda like our family "gang" sign. LOL

Jeanne said...

Eekk can't believe time to go back to school. You're right it sure did go fast. In some ways I'm ready for it to be done though(the rain we've been having!) But still so much I want to enjoy! hehe on the kiddos getting into the scrappy stuff. Yeah, heart stopping for sure.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Im the same way about my stuff. The worst is food. It goes like this, "Do you guys want anything to eat?", kids- "no, im not hungry". Mom sits to eat and kids come to grab of moms plate. BACK OFF. Heehee

We did have a great summer. I think I had as much fun as the kids, because that is also time to hang with friends without watching the clock. But, Now we get quiet lunch time...you up for it Alice.

Football, Soccer, Art, my school year is already busy and hasn't started. Sad.

Good Luck tomorrow.

DawnW said...

We still have three weeks until school officially starts, but practice starts next monday and you might as well say the leisure days of sumer are gone. Even Quin has classes starting tomorrow for hunters safety...my baby is going to holding a rifle!!!! We just looked into starting Drivers Ed for Nick.....ack!

blink...blink...blink

margarita, take me away